Deadline Extended! Spider Road Press once again celebrates excellent, unique, unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex, female-identifying protagonist. Our fifth annual contest recognizes precise, well-crafted prose by risk-taking writers of all genders.
Entry period: Contest entries will be accepted from February 17, 2019 to June 2, 2019.
First Prize: $300, the SWFFP trophy, publication in a SRP ebook, and one free copy of a book by the contest judge. Prize will be paid in US dollars.
Honorable Mentions (Four): $10, publication on the Spider Road Press website, an award certificate, and one free copy of a book by the contest judge. Prize will be paid in US dollars.
GENERAL ENTRY CRITERIA
- Unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex female-identifying protagonist. (Writers of all genders are encouraged to submit.) Protagonist must be, or previously have been, human.
- 750 words or fewer (including title).
- Entries of literary, suspense, science fiction, fantasy, mystery/thriller, Gothic fiction and horror (no gore) for both adult and YA readers will be considered.
- Writers must not include their name anywhere in their submitted piece!
- Writers must include their legal name, valid mailing address, phone number, and a 200-word writer’s bio in the third person in their cover email.
- Writers should use 12-point, Courier or Times New Roman font, double-spaced with 1-inch margins, and standard paragraphing.
- Writers must be at least 18 years old.
- There is a $10 entry fee per piece so that we can pay the judge and pay for our administrative costs. (We maintain an entry fee lower than the industry standard, and regret that we can’t offer further discounts for students.)
- Up to three submissions per writer will be considered. (If multiple entries are sent with only one fee, only the first entry will be considered.)
- We regret that we can’t consider simultaneous submissions. We don't have the woman-power. Sorry.
- Excerpts from longer works are not eligible.
- Prose poetry will not be considered. (We love the form and encourage you to submit your prose poetry to other contests.)
- No children’s fiction, romance, erotica, extreme horror or gore, vampire, shape-shifter or werewolf fiction, erotic horror, comics, or fan fiction will be read. Sorry.
- No pieces containing any kind of graphic sexual abuse, sexual assault, or torture of people, animals, or fantastical beings will be considered. Really.
- Style Note: We welcome the written use of the respectful pronouns: “hir,” "ze,” and the singular “they,” as long as the usage is consistent.
- Previous prizewinners are not eligible.
- Winners will be contacted by the end of June. We regret that our one judge will be unable to provide a contest score sheet. We simply don’t have the womanpower.
- International writers are welcome to submit! However, prizes will be paid in US dollars and the prize book can’t be shipped outside the continental US.
- Our judge is excited to read your best work!