We at Spider Road Press will once again be celebrating excellent, unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex, female-identifying protagonist. Our fourth annual contest will recognize unique, precise, well-crafted prose by writers of all genders.
Entry period: Contest entries will be accepted from February 15 – May 15, 2018.
First Prize: $300, print publication, and one copy of a book edited by the contest judge. Prize will be paid in US dollars.
Honorable Mentions (Four): Publication on the Spider Road Press website, an award certificate, and a free copy of a book edited by the contest judge.
GENERAL ENTRY CRITERIA
- Unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex female-identifying protagonist. (Writers of all genders are encouraged to submit.) Protagonist must be, or previously have been, human.
- 750 words or fewer (including title).
- Writers should use 12-point, Courier or Times New Roman font, double-spaced with 1-inch margins, and standard paragraphing.
- Entries of literary, suspense, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, and Gothic fiction for both adult and YA readers will be considered.
- Writers must include their legal name, valid mailing address, phone number, and a 200-word writer’s bio in the third person in their cover email.
- Writers must not include their name anywhere in their submitted piece.
- Style Note: We welcome the written use of the respectful pronouns: “hir,” "ze,” and the singular “they,” as long as the usage is consistent.
- Writers must be, at least, 18 years old.
- There is a $10 entry fee per piece so that we can pay the judge and pay for our administrative costs. (We maintain an entry fee lower than the industry standard, and regret that we can’t offer further discounts for students.)
- No more than three submissions per writer will be considered. (If multiple entries are sent with only one fee, only the first entry will be considered.)
- We regret that we can’t consider simultaneous submissions.
- Excerpts from longer works are not eligible.
- Prose poetry will not be considered. (We love the form and encourage you to submit your prose poetry to poetry competitions.)
- No children’s fiction, romance, erotica, extreme horror or gore, vampire, shape-shifter or werewolf fiction, erotic horror, comics, or fan fiction.
- No pieces containing any kind of graphic sexual abuse, sexual assault, or torture of people, animals, or fantastical beings will be considered.
- Previous first prize winners are not eligible to win.
- Winners will be contacted by the end of June. We regret that our one judge will be unable to provide a contest score sheet. We simply don’t have the womanpower.
- Include your legal name, mailing address, phone number and a 200-word writer’s bio, written in the third person, in your cover letter. Do not include your name anywhere in your piece.
- International writers are welcome to submit! However, prizes will be paid in US dollars and the prize book can’t be shipped outside the continental US.
- Our judge is excited to read your best work!