We at Spider Road Press will once again be celebrating excellent, unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex, female-identifying protagonist. Our third annual contest will recognize unique, precise, well-crafted prose by writers of any gender.
Entry period: Contest entries will be accepted from Jan. 15 – May 15, 2017.
First Prize: $250, print publication, and free copies of books by the contest judges. Prize will be paid in US dollars.
Honorable Mentions (Two): Publication on the Spider Road Press website, an award certificate, and free copies of books by the contest judges.
Exciting News: The judges will now consider entries of both adult and YA fiction.
All entrants will receive a story score sheet and a few sentences of specific feedback from the judges.
GENERAL ENTRY CRITERIA
- Unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex female-identifying protagonist. (Gender of writer is unimportant.) Protagonist must be, or previously have been, human.
- 750 words or fewer.
- Writer uses 12-point, Courier or Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 1-inch margins, and standard paragraphing.
- Entries of literary, suspense, science fiction, fantasy, mystery and Gothic fiction for both adult and YA readers will be considered.
- Writers must include their legal name, valid mailing address, phone number, and a 200-word writer’s bio in the third person in their cover email.
- Writers must not include their name anywhere in their submitted piece.
- Writers must be at least 18 years old.
- There is a $10 entry fee per piece so that we can pay the judges and pay for our administrative costs. (We have reduced the entry fee this year, and regret that we can’t offer further discounts for students).
- No more than three submissions per writer will be considered.
- We regret that we can’t consider simultaneous submissions.
- Excerpts from longer works are not eligible.
- No children’s fiction, romance, erotica, extreme horror or gore, vampire, shape-shifter or werewolf fiction, erotic horror, comics, or fan fiction.
- No pieces containing any kind of graphic sexual abuse, sexual assault, or torture of people, animals, or fantastical beings will be considered.