Spider Road Press once again celebrates excellent unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex, female-identifying protagonist. Our sixth annual contest recognizes precise, unique, well-crafted prose by risk-taking writers of all genders.
Entry period: Deadline extended. Contest entries will be accepted from January 1 to June 1, 2020. All entrants will receive a brief score sheet from the judges.
First Prize: $300, the SWFFP trophy, publication on the Spider Road Press website, and one free copy of a book by each of the contest judges. Prize will be paid in US dollars.
Honorable Mentions (Four): $15, publication on the Spider Road Press website, and an award certificate. Prize will be paid in US dollars.
GENERAL ENTRY CRITERIA
- Unpublished flash fiction featuring a complex female-identifying protagonist. (Writers of all genders are encouraged to submit.) Protagonist must be, or previously have been, human.
- 750 words or fewer (including title).
- Entries of literary, suspense, science fiction, fantasy, mystery/thriller, Gothic fiction and horror (no gore) for both adult and YA readers will be considered.
- There is a $10 entry fee per piece so that we can pay the judge and pay for our administrative costs. (We maintain an entry fee lower than the industry standard, and regret that we can’t offer further discounts for students.)
- Writers must not include their name anywhere in their submitted piece.
- Writers must include their legal name, valid mailing address, phone number, and a 200-word writer’s bio in the third person in their cover email.
- Writers should use 12-point, Courier or Times New Roman font. Entries should be double-spaced with 1-inch margins and standard paragraphing. Please avoid unnecessary italics.
- Writers must be at least 18 years old.
- Up to three submissions per writer will be considered. (If multiple entries are sent with only one fee, only the first entry will be considered.)
- We regret that we can’t consider simultaneous submissions.
- Excerpts from longer works are not eligible.
- Prose poetry will not be considered.
- No children’s fiction, romance, erotica, gore, vampire, shape-shifter or werewolf fiction, erotic horror, comics, or fan fiction will be read.
- No pieces containing any kind of graphic sexual abuse, sexual assault, or torture of people, animals, or fantastical beings will be considered. Really!
- Style Note: We welcome the written use of the respectful pronouns: “hir,” "ze,” and the singular “they,” as long as the usage is consistent.
- Previous prizewinners (this includes writers who have won an honorable mention) and SRP consultants are not eligible.
- Winners will be contacted within one month after the closing of the contest.
- Writers who did not win will receive a copy of their score sheet within six weeks after the closing of the contest. Our talented contest judges are temporary consultants and will not be able to provide feedback beyond the score sheet.
- International writers are welcome to submit! However, prizes will be paid in US dollars and the prize books can’t be shipped outside the continental US. Submissions will close based on US time.
- Our judges are excited to read your best work!